Sometime last week, coconut shrimp popped up on one of the cooking shows that happened to be on in the background while we were working. To my surprise, Katie said aloud, "I love coconut shrimp!" This was a dish I had completely forgotten about but was determined to try again - they are delicious when they come out right, relatively easy to prepare, and, apparently, one of Katie's favorites. Mom used to make great coconut shrimp when we were kids, so I dug into the old memory bank and got to work.
June 17, 2014
Coconut shrimp with sriracha molasses over pickled cucumber and grapefruit
Yield: 2 servings
ShrimpLarge Shrimp: 10, peeled and deveined
egg white: 2
flour: 1 c
salt: 1 tbsp
black pepper: 1 tbsp
shredded unsweetened coconut: 1 c
canola oil: enough to fill deep fryer or 1 inch in skillet
Saladcucumber: 1/2, sliced into thin coins
lime juice: 1/2 c
salt: 1 tbsp
dill: 1 tbsp
garlic: 1 clove, minced
grapefruit: 2 cross-sections
black pepper: pinch
Saucemolasses: 1/2 c
sriracha: 1 tsp
2. Preheat oil in deep fryer or cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F. If you're using a skillet use a thermometer to avoid a grease fire. The one we recommend above is less than 20 bucks and has more than paid for itself, we use it for everything from meats to poaching eggs.
3. Combine flour, salt, and black pepper.
4. Beat egg whites until thick and foamy but before peaks start to form.
5. Whisk together sauce ingredients
6. Slice grapefruit - if you think of the grapefruit as the Earth, we're looking to slice through the equator and through another latitude to get a nice, round cross-section. Top with pinch of black pepper.
7. Dredge shrimp in flour mixture, coat in egg whites, cover with coconut on all sides.
8. Fry shrimp for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on paper towels, salt immediately.
9. To plate: drizzle plate with sauce, place grapefruit in center of plate. With pickles, slice a radius and form cones (think little kid birthday hat or making a funnel). Place several of these on grapefruit. Plate shrimp. Enjoy