You've had them out to dinner before: flaky, tender, buttery cheddar biscuits. Making anything bread-like seems intimidating at first but I'll tell you a secret - biscuits are quick and easy. We needed an excuse to have them for breakfast so we added some maple syrup. A touch of some smoked chipotle powder put these over the top. These were like Cheddar Bay Biscuits on steroids... for breakfast. We used some whole wheat flour in place of half of the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour tends to make things a bit chewier which helped get the right consistency in these - but you can definitely use all AP flour. Feel free to use cayenne in place of the chipotle powder, or leave it out completely - it just adds a little extra kick if you choose to add it. While I put these together, Katie made an omelette with pancetta and provolone. Great meal to start off the weekend that kept us full til dinner time.
Maple Cheddar Biscuits
June 29, 2014
Maple cheddar biscuits with a hint a chipotle.
Yield: 4 large biscuits
Ingredients:AP Flour: 1/2 c
Whole Wheat Flour: 1/2 c
Baking Powder: 1 tbsp
Garlic Powder: 1 tsp
Salt: 1/2 tsp
Smoked Chipotle Powder: 1/4 tsp
Butter: 1/4 c, cubed and chilled
Maple Syrup: 1 tbsp
Buttermilk: 1/2 c
Shredded Cheddar Cheese: 3/4 c
ToppingButter: 1 tbsp, melted
Garlic: 1/4 tsp
2. In a large bowl, mix first 6 ingredients.
3. Add butter to bowl. Using your fingers pinch butter into flour until it looks crumbly, like below. This will allow the butter to melt and leave layers in the biscuits, creating the flakiness that we're after:
4. Whisk together buttermilk and maple syrup. If you don't have buttermilk on hand, drop a teaspoon of vinegar into milk and let sit for 5 minutes for a buttermilk replacement.
5. Mix wet into dry ingredients. Fold in cheese. Consistency should be sticky but should also hold shape when you roll into a ball. If too wet, add flour.
6. Grease a pan or cover in parchment paper. Drop four equal sized balls of the mix onto the sheet.
7. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown, mix topping together and brush onto the biscuits. Enjoy.