A few things have happened in the past month or so that inspired me to put together this sandwich. First of all, I got meet and continue to work with Chef David Chang. We've partnered with him for the Bud and Burgers Championship to find the best amateur burger chef in America and give them $100,000 to chase their culinary dream. Check out the video and enter the contest here. When we shot that video, he brought some bottles of Ssam sauce with him and let me take one back to St. Louis with me. He also let us know that he is planning to open a Fried Chicken restaurant. Sweet. About a week later, we were out to brunch at Gamlin Whiskey House in St. Louis who proudly have a bunch of AB brands on draught (even Busch). I ordered a fried chicken biscuit with pimento cheese. It was ridiculously tasty with the flaky biscuit, juicy fried chicken, and decadent pimento cheese. I thought it would have been even better with a bit of Ssam for some tang and heat, so I put together this version and we scarfed it down this morning. Enjoy.
Chicken Pimento Ssam Biscuit
March 21, 2015
Prep time: (plus overnight brine)
IngredientsChicken Breast: 2 whole
Pickle Juice: 1/4 c
Budweiser: 12 oz
Ssam Sauce: 2 tbl
Buttermilk: 1/2 c
Flour: 1/2 c
Garlic Powder: 2 tsp
Oregano: 1 tsp
Dried Basil: 1 tsp
Black Pepper: 1 tbl
Frying Oil: 64 oz
Cheddar Cheese: 4 oz, grated
Pepper Jack Cheese: 3 oz, grated
Mayonnaise: 1/3 c
Diced Pimentos: 2oz jar with juice
Cayenne: 1/2 tsp
Heavy Cream: 1 c
2. Combine Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Mayo, Pimentos with juice, Cayenne, 1 tsp garlic powder. Heat cream to a boil and add pimento cheese mixture to cream, stirring constantly until smooth.
3. Preheat oil to 375 degrees F.
4. Remove chicken from brine. Whisk egg, buttermilk, and 3oz Budweiser together.
5. Combine flour, oregano, 1 tsp garlic powder, basil, a heavy pinch of salt and black pepper.
6. Dredge chicken through buttermilk mixture then flour mixture. Fry until golden brown.
7. Split biscuit, top with chicken, pimento cheese sauce, and additional Ssam sauce.